Follow Us On Social Media

1908 - 1925

Rev. A.R. Burke, a spiritual genius, succeeded Rev. Pinson. This pastor, a great humanitarian, was a dynamic speaker. His leadership was felt throughout the community and crowds flocked to hear him preach. On a windy afternoon in March, 1912, in the fourth year of Rev. Burke's pastorate, Mt. Zion was destroyed by fire of an undetermined origin. This catastrophe ended the story of Mt. Zion Baptist Church.  It was the third church to be destroyed on that plot of ground.

Church services were held in Goldsmith Hall on Coffee Street until a more suitable place could be secured. The Missionary Society, headed by Sister Hattie Arnold, affectionately called "Ma Arnold," purchased the present location upon which our church now stands. A structure, although not elaborate, was erected on the new site. In September 1913, the members and friends marched from Israel Chapel Church on Birnie Street, which is now Pilgrim Rest Church, to the new church. Many sarcastically called it the "Paper House". The laying of the Cornerstone was done with appropriate services. Tabernacle Baptist Church was the name given to the new church. There was an enormous debt on the old Mt. Zion. The people to whom this obligation was due agreed to cancel it if the name of the church was changed.   A revival meeting was held for the initial opening of the church. Many children and young people joined. Reverend Burke continued his pastorate and the church grew in membership. Rev. Harry Mosley, a versatile and tireless worker, served as assistant pastor, chairman of the Deacons Board, and Superintendent of the Sunday School. The deacons were Peter Sloan, Andy Robinson, Beloy Farrow, Arthur Robinson, Paul Seaborn, Henry Parks, Perry Hines, Robert Sample, and Dan Sample, who later entered the ministry and was the pastor of Long Branch Baptist Church.

Some of the members of this church during Rev. Burke's administration were Sisters Cecelia Johnson, Eliza Carwise, Daisy Willis, Lula Gilliam and Lille Turner, who succeeded Brother Harry Mosley as Superintendent of the Sunday School. Sister Bessie Sullivan, whose loyalty to the Sunday School, choir, and Missionary Society gave her a unique place in the church, was also an ardent attendant at the Woman's State Missionary and Annual Educational Convention.  Other devoted workers were Sisters Alice Jenkins, Grace McGee, Edith and Sadie Davis and Frances Duckett.

After pastoring the church for approximately seventeen years, Rev. Burke withdrew in 1925, carrying a large following of some of the most loyal members of Tabernacle. He organized and built the Macedonia Church. When this minister passed, some of his followers returned to this church.